RE: TECHWR-L conference thread

Subject: RE: TECHWR-L conference thread
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:04:03 -0400

Well, Folks,

Having managed an STC Conference (not the content, specifically, but the
whole ball of wax), I can tell you that organizing one of these things is
not a trivial undertaking, especially:

a) from a business point of view (so you don't lose your shirt), and
b) from the perspective of having to hold down a paying job while you're
doing it.

Good luck to anyone who volunteers to take on the task! BTW, the people who
work on the conference to make it happen (we're talking about two years of
planning and execution here) don't get a free ride, either.

Now I CAN do this for all of you who have expressed interest in having more
"technical" sessions at the STC Conference. As a new member of the STC
Steering Committee, I'll bring your concerns about the Conference content to
the Board. In the past, when I've raised these issues myself, I've been told
by Bill Stolgitis (the Executive Director) that the surveys people have
returned have indicated that people WANT the level of presentations we've
been seeing. Your postings give me some additional data, not just my own
opinions. No guarantees that you'll see immediate changes, but at least
you'll be heard.

FWIW, I found some really good technical sessions at the Orlando Conference,
in particular, for example, those given by Susan Gallagher (a techwhirler
herself) and Anne Rockley. Subjects such as Object-Oriented programming and
single-sourcing are pretty intense. There are others, but those are the ones
I'm most involved with at the moment.

When we had the conference in Boston, we did try to provide lower-cost
housing for those who wanted it. Not an easy task, given hotel rates in the
city, but at least it was an alternative. Holding it on a college campus,
which does offer cheaper accommodations, IS a possibility, but that presents
its own problems... uh, opportunities, including scheduling. Many people
dislike having to use shared showers down the hall, for example.

Anyway, I think it's a healthy discussion, and if you want to improve the
quality of what you're getting at conferences, get involved, present papers,
and go do something about it.

Marguerite

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.