Re: TECHWR-L conference thread

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L conference thread
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:06:34 -0700

Karen Walakavage wrote:

> And as for making it a "TECHWR-L conference," I don't
> see how that is a necessary tie-in. Eric provides us
> with a forum, and what we do with the information and
> communication from this forum is our business. So long
> as we obey posting rules and remain polite, any plans
> we make are our own.

I think it would be only simple courtesy to invite both Eric and
Deborah Ray. If the event happens, it will because of their indirect
efforts. In fact, if they attend, I'd favor a reception for them, or
some other sort of recognition for their work over the years.

> Further, if we make this brigand's conference, it may
> alienate STC supporters in the TECHWR-L community, and
> I don't think that's right.

Brigand's conference? So far as I can see, the point isn't to be pro
or anti STC, but to have an informative and fun conference. If
anybody feels that they can't attend a techwr-l conference because
that would brand them as hostile to the STC, that's unfortunate, but
it's their perception and their decision.

Naturally, the conference shouldn't be held at the same time as any
other major conference, STC or otherwise. But, except for that, the
STC seems irrelevant.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"There's the smell of death on Golden Mountain,
A price in blood is paid on every load
And you bury your friends, too many for counting
In the rock and the mud of the Demon Fire-Carriage Road."
- Su-Chong Lim

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.