OT: Business cards

Subject: OT: Business cards
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:32:31 -0600

My title is merely "Technical Writer" which I am proud to maintain even
though my abilities and responsibilities often put me over the "senior"
edge.

I use business cards quite frequently. In fact, not too long ago I flamed
our Marketing Department for their design. I only had a minor issue with the
front of the card where most of the information resides. I had major issues
with the back of the card. They printed dark blue all over the back of the
card with light blue lettering containing our website and a light blue arch.

I told them that they made the card much much less usable, because you can't
use the back of the card for other things. I often write information on the
back of a card so that it doesn't clutter the front of the card. Sometimes,
I'll write information from other people, product information, etc. on one
of my cards. It is a convenient place to put things.

Because they printed on the back of the card, the card stock is thicker,
which means I can fit fewer of them in my wallet.

When I brought this to their attention that they made our business cards
less usable, they countered that few people use the back of the card as I do
and that printing on the back of the card was common. The example they
showed me had a very similar design covering the entire back of the card --
but using yellow ink.

"You can still write over yellow print with a black or blue pen. That is not
the case with dark blue. The only usable space on the back of our card is
this light blue arch."

I don't go to lots of trade-shows; I'm not out there shaking hands and
making business contacts. I'm a tech writer who prefers infrequent travel
and a remote cubicle. Yet I do use my business card a lot.

<embarrassment>
I use my business card to get dates.

I write my personal information -- home phone, home e-mail address, etc. --
on the back of the cards. Hence, having usable space on the back of the
cards is important to me, as is being able to carry more than three in my
wallet.
</embarrassment>

<OT>
Not to get too far off-topic with how I use business cards, but they are a
handy tool in today's wired, "politically correct" world where men are [or
at least I am] scared to death of doing the wrong thing.

- I'm not pressuring my "prospect" for her telephone number or personal
information.
- The business card says that I have a job. It might even convey that it is
a good job, good company, etc.
- I provide my personal e-mail address. E-mail addresses are hard to
remember, so having it written on a card that can be handed out gets over
the fumbling of the exchange of information.
- I don't like taking personal calls at work, so having the space on my card
to provide alternatives is important.
- If I'm a dud, my card can conveniently be lost or sent through the washing
machine.

Interesting enough, even though I've met this person in person -- even
probably danced close-embrace Argentine tango with them --, e-mail is
usually the first media even above the telephone for us to "get into each
other's minds." Exchanging e-mail addresses isn't so invading... And then
leads to the accurate exchange of telephone numbers without memory messing
them up.
</OT>

Businesses provide all sorts of perks to get and keep employees. I consider
business cards one of those necessary things, like a telephone, that says
that I belong to the organization, that I am valued, etc. Keeping employees
happy is important. If giving me business cards will eventually lead to me
becoming a more stable employee (that is, "with personal responsibilities"
which necessitate working), they should be happy to issue business cards to
me -- even if used for this "non-work" purpose.

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.