Re: Robohelp HTML vs WinHelp

Subject: Re: Robohelp HTML vs WinHelp
From: "Lebowitz, Howard" <HLebowitz -at- lbss -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:58:22 -0400

Just some additional clarification.

1. You can generate WebHelp from RoboHelp Classic for WinHelp 9.1.
3. You can compile HTML help from RoboHelp Classic for WinHelp 9.1.
2. WebHelp by eHelp is a cross browser, cross platform independent help
platform. It is not compiled but a set of HTML files and JavaScript.
3. HTML is COMPILED help product from Microsoft that runs only on Windows
based clients.

+-----------------------------------+
Howard D. Lebowitz
Senior Technical Writer
London Bridge Group

+-----------------------------------+

From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:18:47 -0500

What kind of help will you be developing, Mark, traditional rtf-based
WinHelp,
or HTML based help? This is the first decision you need to make. For
traditional
WinHelp you will need RoboHelp for WinHelp. This produces the traditional
help
you've been seeing since the early 90s. It does not need any kind of a
"reader"
as long as the user has Windows on the machine. It is based on the WinHelp 4
engine, which Microsoft no longer supports because it is being replaced by
HTML-based help. Traditional RoboHelp sits inside of Microsoft Word, using a
large number of customized, sophisticated macros to convert the document
into
rtf format which the compiler (the WinHelp 4 engine) requires.

HTML help (what eHelp calls WebHelp) does not have any limitations on the
operating system or the browser. It is cross-browser. HTML-based help, the
compiled help file (it has a .chm extension) REQUIRES Microsoft Explorer be
on
the user's machine (it does not have to be the browser of choice, it just
has to
be on the machine). You will need RoboHelp for Microsoft HTML Help to create
either. This is a separate standalone program. It stands independent of
Microsoft Word.

Decide which type of help you are going to develop, then purchase the
appropriate tool since you don't want to purchase the Suite.

HTH

Jo Byrd
Byrd Writes Communications

Mark Tipple wrote:

> I have been directed by my manager to develop a help file for a C+ based
> application our department is currently developing. I understand RoboHelp
is
> one of the better tools for developing help files. I was wondering what
the
> difference is between HTML help and WinHelp. I don't want to purchase the
full
> RoboHelp Office 9 suite ($899), but I'm not sure what the difference is
> between "RoboHelp for Microsoft HTML Help" ($499) and "RoboHelp for
Winhelp"

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.