RE: Voice-activated software

Subject: RE: Voice-activated software
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:31:39 -0500

> In
> addition, she
> is very sensitive to glare, so this poses a major problem for reading and
> writing on computer.

Have you tried the polarized screens I've seen marketed for laptops? They
claim they can improve privacy since someone sitting in the seat beside you
on a plane can't casually read your screen, but it might help the problem
with glare, especially if your daughter viewed the screen at a slight angle.

> What sort of laptop should we get and how
> much memory
> should it have?

Well, in general be sure to push for the fastest processor and max it to the
gills on RAM. From everything I've heard, that makes a huge difference with
speech recognition software. I've also heard it makes a huge difference to
have a quality, active microphone (active mics have their own battery
power). Don't settle for the internal mic on a laptop, or a cheap $10 - 20
mic from a discount store. You need the nice stuff.

> She's going to have several programs on it, such
> as ZoomText

If she can see well enough that ZoomText will help, go for the biggest
screen on the market. The school will probably scream and shout, but you
need a top-of-the-line laptop. I don't have specific details, but I've heard
that Dell has a laptop out that has much finer resolution that anything else
on the market. The review I remember reading said the difference was
something like 133 dpi vs. 80+ dpi. It gives a much sharper picture, and
it's available with up to 32 megs of video RAM. It also have a screen up to
15", and probably costs over $4000 when it's equipped the way you'll need
it.

Good luck,

David Berg

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.