Re: Incorporating XML in Documentation

Subject: Re: Incorporating XML in Documentation
From: mpriestl -at- ca -dot- ibm -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:19:24 -0400

Jason Willebeek-LeMair writes:

><side.note>Six months after we went live, IBM came out with
>their DITA architecture, which is remarkably similar to ours
>at a high level. So, we like to think that we are as smart
>as IBM.</side.note>

Absolutely :-)

It does sound like a lot of the same principles at work - separation of
topics from delivery context, and information typing. Have you considered
the possibility of integrating with DITA, migrating your infotype DTD
modules into the architecture as specialized topic types? IE, a
ProcedureBox is a Task is a Topic. There'd be some up-front work, but the
result should be that you'd still have your customized markup but also be
able to share tools and resources with the rest of the (nascent) DITA
universe.

I've had a bit of experience migrating existing XML solutions into DITA,
and generally the fit has been very good, which is great validation on both
sides - good principles are good principles, wherever you find them.

Michael Priestley
mpriestl -at- ca -dot- ibm -dot- com
Dept 833 IBM Canada t/l: 778-3233 phone: 416-448-3233
Toronto Information Development

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.