RE: Big Brother is watching?

Subject: RE: Big Brother is watching?
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:17:42 -0400

Michael Oboryshko [mailto:obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com] said:
[snip]
>One day this problem
>will be solved when we all have fast cheap personal
>wireless access. Remember when employees used to be
>concerned about bosses listening to their phone calls?
>Cell phones fixed that problem.
[/snip]

Don't kid yourself that your cell phone conversations are secure from
eavesdropping. Nor your wireless transmissions from your Palm or PC.

It doesn't take very sophisticated gear to pick up cell phone conversations.
That's been going on for years.

More recently, a major supplier of networking gear (guess which) has issued
an internal directive that employees, even within the corporate HQ, should
use secure connections (which the company provides) for wireless
transmissions because people DRIVING BY THE BUILDING (!) have been able to
intercept nonsecured wireless transmissions, potentially endangering
confidential corporate data.

In other words, as other posters have said, anything you put out on the net
or on the airwaves is out in the open to anyone who really wants it.

Marguerite

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.