RE: Big Brother is watching?

Subject: RE: Big Brother is watching?
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:03:38 -0400

On 04/19/2001 1:47 PM, Tom Johnson (johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com) wrote:

>What do we do, avoid using e-mail and browsers at all costs? Michael's
>advice seems to be sound except for the possibility that he could be giving
>false assurance that we just need to be careful. Any suggestions for the
>honest folks?

How about "Recognize that hyper-surveillance is the sign of a sick
organization, and look for employment elsewhere"?

>On the other hand, if you are misusing resources, then you have every right
>to be afraid of getting caught and punished.

True, as long as "misuse" is clearly defined, and a reasonable standard
(spirit, not letter, of the "law") is applied. If I'm working until 11 pm
and I make a personal call during that time, the company will find a lot
of deadlines being missed if they give me a hard time about it (because
I'll no longer be putting in the extra hours to meet their ridiculous
schedules).

Basically, take this kind of treatment as the abuse that it is, and move
on. Until then, set up an SSH tunnel between your system and an outside
box, then browse the Web and read your e-mail through that. Virtually
un-tappable, unless they've installed snooping software on your computer,
too...

----->Mike

stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com -- AOL and AOL Instant Messenger:MStockman

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.