RE: Stereotyping

Subject: RE: Stereotyping
From: "Cindy K. Kight" <Cindy -dot- Kight -at- Marconi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:21:56 -0700

<And, though it's not my list, I would ask, politely but pointedly, that you
knock it off with the stereotypes.>

I'm with Tom on this one. There are English Majors who are wonderfully
talented and those who are nit-picking failed novelists (btw, I'd hire
Christine with or without her MA in English in a heartbeat!); there are
ex-military-types who are rigid bureaucrats and others who are warm,
creative and very competent.

What matters is not our backgrounds, but the personal qualities and talents
we've developed along the way. Personal discipline and a strong work ethic
are good qualities - whether you got them by pursuing an MA in English, by
being in the military, or by working your way up from the mailroom. Some
people have extensive education and years of experience and are still
incompetent. Others with the same background learned and grew and have
something substantial to contribute.

There may be a grain of truth in these generalities, but it's unfair to
judge individuals by them without examining the facts. I'd be very sure
that someone with an advanced degree in English Literature knew that this
was a whole different ballgame (although if they had tech writing
experience, I'd be less wary). I'd make sure a government/military type
wrote in the friendlier style that we need. But you examine everyone to
make sure they're a good fit for the job.

Of course, here in LA you worry that ANYBODY will quit as soon as they sell
their screenplay! ;)

Cindy Kight

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.