RE: Stereotyping? This doesn't bode well for audience analysis...

Subject: RE: Stereotyping? This doesn't bode well for audience analysis...
From: "Miller, Lisa" <Lisa -dot- Miller -at- Anheuser-Busch -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 16:36:45 -0500

As a current military type (CPT, Signal Company Commander) and an air-headed,
liberal English Master working in a technical field, I would like to jump into
this conversation.

I teach English Composition to college freshmen and sophmores. We talk a lot
about the audience. One day our discussion/my lecture sounded just like
stereotyping. We were talking about what types of persuation would work for
different groups based on their background, education, culture, etc. My class
rightly responded that what I was saying sounded like stereotyping. They were
right, but stereotyping can be used two ways: to end communication (I know you
and what you're all about); to begin communication (I know this and it seems
like this in my experience).

Obviously, not all white males, over forty, and college-educated think the same
way, but some assumptions about the people in this category can be made in order
to form a base on which communication can begin. Stereotyping's hurtful forms
close down communication such as in racist or sexist attitudes. Stereotyping's
helpful forms open communication such as in cultural exchanges, open dialogs,
and sincere interest in building on personal understanding.

Look, we all stereotype. In itself, this isn't bad. Obviously, it's what we do
with it that makes the difference.

Lisa A. Miller
Technical Writer
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Packaging Team - Corporate Engineering
mailto:lisa -dot- miller -at- anheuser-busch -dot- com
(314) 865-8904

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-- Benjamin Franklin

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.