RE: Need help please respond + Toastmasters

Subject: RE: Need help please respond + Toastmasters
From: "Matthew Danda" <mattspam -at- dandaweb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:38:55 -0400

John:
Yes, this career can be quite frustrating.
I have found the periodic "dearth of projects involving real TW work" to be
one reason why I've had 5 different TW jobs in six years. When there's tons
to do and the project is in crisis mode, I'm at my best. When I get bored, I
walk.
The other reason is that I have a need to be a decision-making member of the
team, and often writers don't get that ability.
The best solution is to avoid salary work and work only as a contractor.

Fred:
Thanks for mentioning Toastmasters International. I have found that
organization to be far more valuable than STC for developing professional
communication skills. Because we all know how to write well (of course!),
but success is also based on the ability to speak well!

Matt Danda
Freelance Technical Writer
Author of "Protect Yourself Online" (Microsoft Press, March 2001)
Member of Toastmasters club 3019, VP Ed, CTM
Gainesville, FL

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.