Re: Seeking advice on English MA

Subject: Re: Seeking advice on English MA
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:13:12 -0700

Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com wrote:

> I have to disagree with this on two points:
> (1) A master's thesis is a completely different animal from the kind of
> writing I do today. If I write an excellent 25, 50, 100-page essay on
> subversion of hegemony in the lesser-known works of Cuthbert Queeg, that
> doesn't mean I can write a good six-step procedure on how to modify a
> database record.

A gentle disagreement: no type of writing is completely different from
any other type.

Although the style of a thesis is very different from that of the
average manual, completing a thesis does show that a person can organize
large amounts of information and has the discipline to complete a long
task. These abilities are useful in any type of writing, and not many
wannabe writers have them.

In addition, completing a large, complex piece of original work gives
writers some justified confidence in themselves. For example, before I
wrote my thesis, I'd done poems, stories, and articles, but never
something that took two years to research and write, and weighed in at
250 pages. Secretly, I had always worried that maybe I was a dabbler.
However, once I did the thesis - even before my defence - those worries
dropped away. Ever since, my first reaction to a new piece of writing
hasn't been to worry about my adequacy, but to start figuring how to
organize it.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"Rose bouquet, wedding band,
Their recipe for romance might have come out of a can."
- The Mollies, "I Don't Wanna Go to Bed"

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.