Re: Relocating for a job?

Subject: Re: Relocating for a job?
From: iluvvscotties -at- earthlink -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:03:29 -0400

At 11:43 AM 04/21/2001 -0500, Buss, Jason A wrote:

I am considering a very good offer that would
require me to relocate (which is completely
new territory for me, having grown up, lived,
and worked in this area all of my life).

Although many people consider relocating the best decision they ever made, I have witnessed horror stories firsthand. Unscrupulous employers promise the world and speak of permanence and long-term, while planning to dump you after a few months, relocating in another year, etc. By way of example, my last employer moved the entire back office from NYC to NJ. Their employees had to scurry to hastily find new lodging. About two years later, they closed that building and moved the entire back office to Maryland -- and only the top brass was even invited to join them there. The rest found themselves unemployed in an area they barely knew, with few job opportunities.

Unfortunately, that isn't wildly unusual. Most of us know of others who have had the same experience -- finding themselves broke and alone in an area they barely know.

I have also seen people agree to the move because the cost of living will be lower, only to be told (after they've settled in) that, since their salaries are too high for that area, they won't be eligible for a raise for three years (by which time they'll be terminated).

And many of these people don't even qualify for severance packages.

I certainly wouldn't suggest that you not take the job ... it could, indeed, be the opportunity of a lifetime. Just think long and hard about what would happen if they dump you there ... i.e., are there other job opportunities in the area, do you have enough money to move back, does your contract guarantee payment for a reasonable amount of time, etc.

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com