Re: API/javadoc - classes/methods that should not be public

Subject: Re: API/javadoc - classes/methods that should not be public
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 18:23:57 -0700

David Price wrote:

> Doing a little poll here, trying to figure out which way to go. I'm
> documenting an API using javadoc, importing it into HTML Help as the
> reference piece of a Programmer's Guide. There are a number of classes &
> methods declared public that should not really be public (utility classes,
> etc.). These classes/methods are "undocumented," meaning there may or may
> not be comments in there, and they may or may not make sense. There is no
> option in javadoc (yet) to exclude these. I see two options:

In the open source community, the fact that code is unfinished or
undocumented is one of the reasons why you release it: when you do, the
users often provide the missing parts.

Your company may not be ready to go open source, but why not mention
everything, with the unfinished parts clearly labelled as unfinished and
with warnings, and see what sort of feedback you get? Given that you're
writing for programmers, I suspect that some of your audience would be
interested.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"Rose bouquet, wedding band,
Their recipe for romance might have come out of a can."
- The Mollies, "I Don't Wanna Go to Bed"

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.