RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question (Certification)

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question (Certification)
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:27:06 -0600

Not to pick on the Germans too much, but if you have ever lived there for an
extended period of time, you'll see elements of their society where
certification has run wild and has even the Germans scratching their heads
in confusion as to how to solve the problem.

Certification is used to exclude. If you don't have the right formal
education, it doesn't matter how many years of experience you have. Some
things, like software development, are having them re-think this, and
companies are becoming more flexible -- as flexible as sober Germans can
get. Still, you're rarely considered for management if you don't have a
"Diplom". Even if you do make it into the ranks of management, you'll hit a
glass ceiling.

I was bitten by certification over there several times in getting or being
refused permits. It didn't matter that my native language is English with
fluency in German, that I have an engineering background, or that I was
focusing on highly technical English documents. I didn't attend one of their
schools where they teach English and provide certification.

I'm against STC certification, because it's not required. If I don't
perform, at-will employment can set me back on the street with or without
certification.

I suspect that STC certification will open fewer doors to technical writing
than (a) my work experience or (b) my engineering degree.

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.