RE: Making them read the documentation

Subject: RE: Making them read the documentation
From: iluvvscotties -at- earthlink -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:38:45 -0400

At 12:16 PM 04/25/2001 -0400, Holder, Luanne wrote:

My suggestion for encouraging users to read the documentation is to instruct
Support to always refer the user to the manual when they answer a question.

Unfortunately, this will only work if your boss supports you. I once had a user many miles away who BRAGGED that she never read manuals, onscreen help, or directions of any kind. I can't tell you how many times I had to waste an entire day traipsing to her office to handle something that was very clearly spelled out on the screen, in the manual, in online help, etc.

Although my inclination was to reply that I never help people who brag that they never read manuals, onscreen help, or directions, my boss was too eager to ingratiate himself with other departments to be even remotely pragmatic, much less to support his staff <sigh>.

IMHO, the only viable solution is to charge departments for providing this type of assistance.

Having once participated in teaching a mildly retarded person to use computers, I am very patient and sincerely glad to help people -- and, if my directions aren't clear, I appreciate an opportunity to improve them. However, although glad to help anyone who doesn't understand the directions, I really resent helping (much less traveling to help) those who brag that they never read directions. Unfortunately, however, any solution to this must come from higher up <sigh>.

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com