RE: Making them read the documentation

Subject: RE: Making them read the documentation
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:02:03 -0400

Ah, it's so easy to solve problems when they are
somebody elses. :-)

Here goes:

When summoned to the presence of s/he who brags of
never reading documentation, bring the docs.
Then, to every question, keep your mouth shut and
open the manual to the correct page.

When s/he starts to get snippy/abusive with you, look
pained, swallow with an obvious effort, and then
croak out (at a barely-audible whisper):

"I think I've got (coff, coff... sorry...) laryngitis,
and it really hurts to talk right now. If you insist
on me reading out loud to you, the installation (or
whatever manual), I may have to stay home tomorrow and
slip the *[big important project]* deadline."

"Also, my voice (croak, coff... pause...) is weak,
so I'll have to stand really close to you. D'you
suppose I'm still contagious at this stage?"

Should work wonders.

Of course, if you aren't up to a bit of dramatic
subterfuge, then just make sure you consume vast
amounts of garlic and onions before visiting the
offending party. Then lean close as you relentlessly
coach them through the procedure. Remember to bring
the manual open it in front of him/her, and run your
finger under each instruction as you work through
the steps.

Hope this helps ;->

/kevin

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.