RE: PDF format question

Subject: RE: PDF format question
From: "Richard Smith" <Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:47:58 -0700

> I need a few opinions on PDF files. Should a
> PDF be nothing more than a printable version
> of the hard-copy manual? Should it contain a
> table of contents and page numbers so that the
> user can print it out and have a hard-copy?
> If it should contain page numbers, should those
> page numbers be formatted as if the document
> was two-sided (odd pages right, etc.).

We create a PDF that has bookmarks for the top three heading levels, the
TOC, index, and cross references are linked, references to URLs are actually
links, etc. But we also preserve the two sided numbered format so docs can
be printed duplex. It is geared toward print, but offers some online
useability as well. We also provide hard copy manuals and online help.

> I doubt most people who print it out will
> bother with two-sided.

Not true here. I, and many of the folks I work with, print double sided
frequently.

> My questions come about because I've been having so many problems
> with Adobe
> inserting blank pages when I produce a PDF from Word.

I use Frame primarily. I've only done smaller PDFs from word. So I'm no help
here, sorry.

Richard Smith

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.