Value of good communication?

Subject: Value of good communication?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:15:18 -0400

Tracee Ross wondered: <<Does anyone have resources that explain the value of
good technical writing/communication in a company? I am looking for
quantitative and qualitative data to share with my management.>>

Have a look through the techwr-l archives for a starter. If you're an STC
member or know someone who is, you could also obtain a copy of the special
issue of their journal _Technical Communication_ on value added: that's
Volume 42(1), published in early 1995. Also have a look at the following two
articles:

Carliner, S. 1997. Demonstrating effectiveness and value: a process for
evaluating technical communication products and services. Technical
Communication 44(3):252-265.

Mead, J. 1998. Measuring the value added by technical documentation: a
review of research and practice. Technical Communication 45(3):353-379.

All of these should be available via interlibrary loan and perhaps from the
STC head office if you can't obtain a copy locally.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"How are SF writers like technical writers? Well, we both write about the
things we imagine will happen in the future!"--Sue Gallagher

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.