gearing up to be a tech writer

Subject: gearing up to be a tech writer
From: Jonathan Kajeckas <jgkaje -at- wm -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:27:35 -0400

I am preparing to move to Northern California (Sonoma County) in the next three months, where I hope to start working as a technical writer, ideally as a contractor with the flexibility to work from home. I hope subscribers to the list might comment on my plans and offer advice on specific questions.

I worked for two years as the sole copy editor in an office that prepared legislative briefing materials, editing and laying out over 4,000 pages of material (in WP5.1). Following a master's degree in Government I edited a journal in business history and redesigned the layout (in Word), while maintaining Novell and Unix servers. In my current job I support 75 faculty in the social sciences on their general use of computers and in integrating information technology into their courses. I design solutions for faculty and for IT staff which I then document, in some cases managing projects for new services. My interests include computer networking, usability, and typography. (One of my current pet projects is a Word macro that directs Postscript output to Ghostscript to create a PDF for free.)

One question is how to use my time and money before I move to better position myself as a technical writer. I gather that in my current role I should concentrate on building a portfolio of technical writing to show to prospective employers. I plan to more fully document the solutions I have designed and to document some internal processes for IT. I am interested in any guidance on which of the following would best advance my career as a technical writer in a new place where I am generally unknown:
-taking the MOUS Word Expert exam ($65, this one should be easy now, if it is in fact worth taking);
-taking the Windows 2000 Professional MCSE exam ($100, this might take two weeks of study);
-buying Framemaker 6 ($350) while I still qualify for an academic discount in order to learn it at home and potentially use it as a contractor (or should I just get the book Framemaker 5.5.6 for Dummies with the tryout version and skip the major investment for now, perhaps taking a class and/or buying it after I move?);
-buying Visio Pro ($105) or Standard ($49);
-learning more about Linux, TeX, VB/VBA/VBScript, XML (mostly time and books); or
-reading like a fiend about telecom technology (big in Sonoma County).
Assuming that none of these are bad ideas, which one or two are the best? Have I missed a big one?

Second question: I have read in The Complete Idiot's Guide to Technical Writing that it is hard to get work as a free-lance contractor without first working full-time as a technical writer for a few years. True? If so, should I go directly to a tech writers placement service if I hope to eventually work as a contractor from home, or should I concentrate on full-time jobs in order to gain experience? I think I prefer one of these two options to posting my resume on dice.com and seeing who bites.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Jonathan Kajeckas
IT Senior Departmental Liaison
College of William & Mary