Re: FW: Top 5 dumb comments Tech Writers r

Subject: Re: FW: Top 5 dumb comments Tech Writers r
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:42:21 -0700

Ken Poshedly wrote:

> Regarding the stupidarse comments tech writers get on their review
> documents, I heartily concur with those put forth by Janice Gelb (below)!!
>
> It seems that engineers and marketing folks -- both higher up than us on
> the food chain -- revel in making life miserable for those below. S

Isn't this a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy? Of course, when you
start a job, you are generally coming nto an established hierarchy.
However, if you assume that other people have higher status than you do,
you shouldn't be surprised if they do, too.

No matter what the official structure is, personality counts for just as
much. Show competence, and mix a general habit of diplomacy with a
refusal to take any attitude, and you'll soon have no trouble getting
your information or your reviews. Then, don't hold grudges afterwards.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"He's marched up to Newcastle
And ranged it round about,
Crying, 'Wha's the lord of this castle,
'And is the lady home?'"
- Scottish Traditional, "The Lammastide"

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.