RE: Is IT growth slowing?

Subject: RE: Is IT growth slowing?
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:29:40 -0400

Scott wrote:
<snip>
The use of a cross-platform (be it hardware, software, or whatever)
standard is more beneficial to the end-user, but less advantageous to
the provider. So you won't see Microsoft, or Lucent, or Cisco
adhering to one, unless they find themselves losing market-share.
</snip>

While I certainly can't speak for Microsoft or Lucent, and I wouldn't
presume to speak for Cisco corporate, I have to say that in my experience,
Cisco really does try to provide cross-platform solutions. I've documented
some of them.

Granted, as the "800-pound gorilla" of the telecomms field, they DO seem to
set the standards that others must conform to, but they also facilitate
interoperability. No one in this area of the business could survive without
that kind of provision.

Marguerite

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.