RE: FrameMaker Chapter Numbers

Subject: RE: FrameMaker Chapter Numbers
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 13:46:30 -0400

Hi Kelli, and all,

The method that Bill described should work for most situations, and I
sincerely hope it fixes your problem. If it doesn't, read on.

Last week I was working on an inherited Frame 5.5.6 book project, too. For
some weird reason, the chapter numbering went from 1,2,3,4,5,6,A to
1,2,3,3,4,5,6,A. Chapter 4 became a second chapter 3, and all the subsequent
chapters renumbered after that. The Appendix, front matter, and back matter
(not shown in this representation) were all OK. I reapplied the templates,
rebuilt the book, and generally tried all the tricks I know...nada.

One thing that's useful to know is that with Frame, if you're having a
problem with numbering in a certain chapter, the cause is probably in the
PREVIOUS chapter.

So I replaced the first Chapter 3 with a different Frame file in the same
template and set it up as a "proper" Chapter 3 in the boook file, page
numbering and all. I updated the book file, then, without generating the TOC
or IX. Bingo! The page numbering was correct! So then I knew that, as I
suspected, the problem was with the original Chapter 3.

OK, let's cut to the chase. Look at the last page of your file that's giving
you the problem (that is, the chapter before the one where the problem
manifests itself). Look for the little "double s" character that marks the
end of the file or section. Now look back one page. Is there another one?
That's what was occurring in my case. The second "section" character was
resetting the numbering within the C: flow, messing up the numbering of the
next chapter.

The fix: Since there seemed to be no way to get rid of that extraneous
character, I first saved the original Chapter 3 with a similar name to what
it had before, but appending OLD. I then rebuilt the file by opening a new
document, copying *everything but* the very last character of the last line,
and pasting that copied material into the new document, then saving the new
file under the original Chapter 3's name. I went to the book file and
removed (the old) Chapter 3 (by name), then added Chapter 3 (the new file)
so Frame could find the chapter when I regenerated/updated the file. I had
to make sure that the new Chapter 3 was appropriately set up, of course.

When I updated the book, the chapter numbering was correct. Whew! Hope your
experience isn't as messy.

Marguerite