A question of structure

Subject: A question of structure
From: Becca Price <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 11:56:38 -0700 (PDT)

I'm developing an outline for a proposed reorganization of our
Administrator's Guide. Over the years, there have been many
writers who worked on it, each with their own vision of what it
should be, and it's now a mish-mash of procedures, reference,
gui guide, and who-knows-what-all. I'm re-writing it from a
task-based perspective.

Basically we sell a database product that runs under either
Oracle or SQL, so some of our procedures are really two: setting
up the user (in Oracle) and setting up the user (in SQL) for
example.

My problem: we have 2 kinds of users: administrative users, and
"other" users. You create them differently in the database, so
they are separate procedures. Since they're created differently
in SQL and Oracle, it's 4 procedures.

Should I group them by platform or by task? i.e.
-Setting up Users in Oracle
Creating the Adminestrative User
Creating Other Users

or,

-Setting up the Administrative User
Oracle
SQL

I'm leaning toward platform, but since my mandate is to rewrite
the thing so that it's task-based, I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Becca

=====
http://auctions.yahoo.com/