Documenting a wizard-based task

Subject: Documenting a wizard-based task
From: "Keith Posner" <k -dot- posner -at- smarten -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 11:20:41 +0200

I am in the process of documenting a task which is based around a
wizard. The task is a definition task and requires setting parameters of
verious types in a series of up to 10 screens. One of the key screens
branches in two directions depending on whether you want to set
parameters for one element or for multiple elements. Another screen has
a branch into five possible directions depending on the type of element
you are defining.

I have defined this task in a step-wise temporal fashion. There are
numbered procedures, each procedure is made up of multiple steps. I have
dealt with the user choices (one or multiple elements, branch into one
of five directions) using Informatoin Mapping decision tables. The
result is a twenty page set of instructions: I'm not sure that this is a
very usable set of instructions a) because of its length and b) because
the decision tables contain some tortuous cross referencing.

My question: Can anyone suggest a better way to document a wizard-based
task?

Many thanks,
Keith Posner