RE: User Manual and Online Help

Subject: RE: User Manual and Online Help
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 07:30:29 -0400

Unfortunately this is fairly difficult to manage in Word. You would have to
implement some kind of content flagging, kind of like conditional text in
FrameMaker (a more ideal solution). What I used to do in Word was change the
color of text and so forth for print-only and online-only information, and
then copy the document to two sub-directories: Print and Help. Then, I'd
delete all info with the online color, switch all print colors back to
black, and then publish to print. I'd do a similar process for Help. Then,
when I had to maintain the source, I'd go back to the version with both
color settings in tact. A sloppy process, but it did work and did save me
time down the road.

I haven't used RoboHelp for years, so they may have built in some kind of
conditional tagging since (like that in Doc-to-Help). But, I can't be
certain. Perhaps someone else has a better solution, but I do know that the
process above does work.

*****************
BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N
1881 Worcester Road
Framingham, Mass. 01701
T E L * 508-879-8400 x316
F A X * 508-879-8500
www.courion.com
*****************

:: Till date the key responsibility at my job required me to handle the
:: entire process of Software Documentation, but now in addition to my
:: previous role, I have to implement Robo HTML Help in our Software.
:: I want to avoid duplicity of work. Although I know I can
:: import a Word doc
:: and convert it into help file, but the problem is I don't
:: need screens in
:: Help file which is otherwise included in the Manual. If I
:: choose to remove
:: the screens, I will have to change the language flow of the
:: entire Help
:: File.
:: Is there any other way of managing both of them or what
:: would be the ideal
:: thing to do in such a situation.