The cost of independence: WAS Contracting and Temp Agencies

Subject: The cost of independence: WAS Contracting and Temp Agencies
From: "MM Deaton" <mmdeaton -at- mmdeaton -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 11:28:08 -0700

Whether you get to pick an approved provider is obviously up to the client.
I do not work for clients who require me to use a particular agency or
provider. I am an independent business person and contract directly with the
client for the work. The invoice sent in by whomever I designate is the
invoice they have to accept and pay. One of the joys of independence is
setting your own conditions of work. I also do not work on-site; I go
on-site when needed, but I work out of my own office.

The conditions of an independent contractor are always going to vary, but I
think someone who is seeking to become independent needs to explore all
possible avenues.

eWork not only handles all of the paperwork for you, including sending the
invoice, they also provide a web-based time tracking system to help generate
that invoice. They are not the accountants, however. You still have to keep
track of your income and expenses. I have used QuickBooks in the past when I
did subcontracting, but I using Money, now. QuickBooks also offers simple
web-based service for a monthly fee.

And the rate of 12% is for 1099 services. W2 services, where benefits are
offered, are more expensive because you get more. There are also higher cost
services for 1099s that offer more than the bare minimum. Most agencies I am
aware of in the Seattle area provide health insurance for their employees,
often 100% of the coverage after certain hours worked. That obviously can
differ widely. I have coverage through my spouse, so that is that a big
issue for me.

One of the reasons I do not use agencies is because they typically mark up
their fee by 60% or more and if the client pushes back on the markup margin,
the push on you, the contractor, to lower your rate. Not me, sister! I can
charge the client a lower hourly rate than if they go to an agency and still
more than cover my expenses with a healthy paycheck to myself every week.

And my house went through a major earthquake on February 28, but it does not
change my mind about wanting to protect it against money-grubbing lawyers!

Mary Deaton
Deaton Information Design
News and opinion at: http://www.mmdeaton.com