Re: Ever expanding word docs?

Subject: Re: Ever expanding word docs?
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 22:36:31 -0400

Mark Emson wrote:

> Does anyone know of a fix for MS Word documents that just keep on growing?
>
> E.g. you create a document and save it. Its size is 100K
> Later, you open the doc again, add something and the size increases to 105K.
> Later still you decide to take the addition out and stick with the first
> draft but when you save it, it has grown again to 110K. WHYYYYYY!
>
> I've just reduced a 2000K file down to 190k by cutting and pasting it to
> notepad, back into word and then re-applying the chosen styles.
> Similarly if I copy the doc and then past it into a new blank template the
> file size reduces by a few K. It carries on shrinking each time the action
> is carried out.
>
> Is there a simple fix to stop this multiplication of nothing? I haven't
> tried it yet but I assume that if you keep on adding, saving, taking away,
> saving, adding, saving etc, you could have a completely blank document that
> doesn't contain any text at all!
>
> Any advice gratefully received.

One the the major causes of bloat is saving of multiple versions. This
can be defeated by the old, x insert trick.
Open a new document, type "x" and delete it.
Then do a file insert and save the new document under the name of the
doc you just inserted.
Also, follow the others advice, its all good, including turning off fast
saves.

HTH

--
Peter

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig
you soon realize they both like it
mailto:peternew -at- optonline -dot- net