Larger and larger pdf files from Distiller

Subject: Larger and larger pdf files from Distiller
From: "Ken Poshedly" <Ken_Poshedly/Parts/ProductSupport/GA/KFI -at- kfiusa -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:01:31 -0400

Hey Group!

I posted this in the FrameUsers listserve, as well, but also hope someone
here culd help me.

The problem is getting a much larger pdf file with each "distillation" of a
certain FrameMaker book file.

Hardware/software: 600 Mz, PC clone with FrameMaker 5.5.6, Adobe Acrobat
4.05
and the version of Distiller that came with it (4.0 perhaps?)

Process: Created a series of chapters (ranging in size from 1 to 5 pages
each,
for a 40-page book). At first, I simply distilled each chapter separately
get individual pdf files and used Acrobat's "Document>Insert Pages" feature
string them together and get a file about 1.3 Mb in size. I'll call this
one
"Sample.pdf".

Well, to be a little more efficient, I tried compiling the chapters into a
FrameMaker book; printed the book to a file with a ".ps" extension; made
sure
Distiller was set for "screen optimized" (default downsampling, etc., for
purposes of this particular document) and distilled ps file. The resulting
pdf
file looked okay. Let's call this file "Sample-a.pdf".

In reviewing it, I found a typo or needed to refine placement of a text box
or
something, so I corrected it in Frame, printed out the book again to a ps
file
and distilled it once more (same settings) to result in a file I'll call
"Sample-b.pdf".

Ooops. Yet another typo found. Repeat the process and get a file called
"Sample-c.pdf". This file was supposed to be the "keeper", the one for
final
distribution.

The problem is that each of the pdf files generated via printing the book
to a
new ps file and running it through Distiller is p-r-e-t-t-y big.

"Sample.pdf" (created by simply stringing together separately-created pdf
chapters) is about 1.3 Mb in size. A little larger than I hoped for, but
still
sort of acceptable.

"Sample-a.pdf" file is maybe 3 Mb in size (way out of the ballpark, and
created via the FrameMaker "book" method).

"Sample-b.pdf" is about 3.2 Mb or so; created by book method, distilling
new
ps file.

"Sample-c.pdf" is about 3.4 Mb; created like "Sample-b.pdf".

So, why is this and how to get the final pdf back down to a practical
level?

(I'm familiar with "Fast Save" in Microsoft Word, but as far as I know,
there
is no similarity with Acrobat or Distiller, eh?)

One final note here. When printing the FrameMaker book, the file name in
the
FrameMaker "Print Document" dialog box field next to "Print Only to File"
ends
in ".prn". I simply change it to ".ps" and go from there and everything
seems
to work fine -- except for the above-described problems with humongous pdf
file sizes.

-- Ken in Sunny Atlanta