Coaching off list (was RE: grammar questions (was the whole VP th read))

Subject: Coaching off list (was RE: grammar questions (was the whole VP th read))
From: "Cook, Jenise" <jenise -dot- cook-crabbe -at- pacificlife -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:18:29 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Jane Carnall [mailto:jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com]
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 9:45 AM
To: TECHWR-L
Subject: RE: grammar questions (was the whole VP thread)

The point I was mainly trying to make was about novices asking questions: I
believe one of the functions of this list is to support novice tech writers
(or even experienced techwrs in new situations <g>) and that the appropriate
course of action is to point the newbie at the appropriate online resource
without snide comments. About anything. :-?

<snip>

Per Jane, (and before this thread gets beaten to death), yes, this is one of
the purposes of the list. In addition to pointing those new to our
profession to appropriate resources, we can also encourage them by mentoring
them off list. Send a personal e-mail and offer to coach them through the
situation.

Over the years, I've been mentored by several members of this list, so it's
my turn to give back. (I know many members do the same, and do so
"silently.") My past mentors from this list contacted me personally and
didn't make a big deal of it. They let the rants and raves continue on list
while--off list-- hey helped "the newbie" grow in confidence.

Just a suggestion and a reminder. One of the great things I appreciate about
our profession (that I've noticed thus far) is a palpable lack of
cut-throat, back-stabbing, and overly-competitive behaviors and attitudes
that I've seen in other career fields.

TWs are some of the nicest and most helpful people I've met! May these
characteristics continue on list, and grow in ever-increasing numbers off
list!

Jenise
"We love newbies!"

<opinions are mine and not my employer's; no not one bit>