RE: Real life example of the Bunny Hop

Subject: RE: Real life example of the Bunny Hop
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 17:15:22 -0400

:: From: Paul Hanson [mailto:PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com]
::
:: For those interested in the recent discussion re: the Bunny
:: Hop, I am
:: interviewing a potential TWer this afternoon. This person's
:: work history:
::
:: 4/99- present: Company 1
:: 8/98 - 4/99: Company 2
:: 2/98 - 8/98: Company 1
:: 10/95 - 2/98: Company 2
:: 4/93- 10/95: Company 3

And...?

I missed most of the "bunny hop" thread, but I hope most of us can agree
that this isn't such a bad thing these days (or am I about to be flogged?).
Here's my work history in a nutshell (if anyone cares):

12/1995 - 11/1996 Company 1
11/1996 - 8/1998 Company 2
8/1998 - 4/2000 Company 3
4/2000 - 6/2000 Duff Central ;)
6/2000 - 1/2001 Company 4
1/2001 - 4/2001 Company Me :)
4/2001 - present Company 5

Does this mean anything? Not really. Yeah, I've done more hopping (and
pavement skidding) than the person above, so what? Does it really make me
look that bad? Would it help if I told you that Company 1 was a job out of
college to pay the bills, but was somewhat relevant to my professional
career (typesetting)? Would it also help to tell you that I left Company 2
because the commute to the office and the last-minute travel plans were
killing me? How about that Company 3 and 4 both downsized me due to
financial trouble? Or that Company 3 doesn't even exist anymore?

I think the reasons for the hopping need to be weighed significantly more
than the quantity of the hops. "Didn't like working there" is a bit of a
bogus excuse. "Was not paid enough to live in the district I worked in and
the 1.5-2 hour one-way commute was more than I cared to stand" is a bit more
valid.

Anyhow, my $0.02 and a short history to boot.

BTW, if this interviewee finds out his summarized work history was discussed
in an open forum by an interviewer, you may have an uncomfortable situation
on your hands. Such actions are not the most respectful thing to do.

BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N
1881 Worcester Road