RE: writing functional specs?

Subject: RE: writing functional specs?
From: "Nimchuk, Robert P" <robert -dot- nimchuk -at- nwa -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 15:01:06 -0500

> Therefore, in my opinion, within the functional spec, the writer has
> "prove" that what is being proposed in the functional spec is
technically
> feasible and usually within a particular very short time frame. And
that's
> where, in my opinion, design must come in.

Sorry, I may be late in this since I wait till Friday to read most of
these discussions.

>From a strict process flow, requirements is a separate stage from
design.

Requirements are a list of specs detailing the workflow, input and
outputs of the system, and retention needs. It is from the requirements
that the developers actually develop the data model and identify the
effort involved in delivering each of the requirements.

I have been involved in assisting in the writing of specs but the actual
role usually requires a business analyst who understands the business's
workflow.

Robert Nimchuk
IS Technical Writer
Northwest Airlines, Inc.

Voice: (612) 726-3109
Fax: (612) 727-4367
E-Mail: robert -dot- nimchuk -at- nwa -dot- com
Calendar: http://email.nwa.com/exchange/c52442/calendar

"The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this notion rested
solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that
writing didn't require any."
-- Russell Baker