RE: Opening .exe from .chm file

Subject: RE: Opening .exe from .chm file
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 15:40:08 -0600

It seems to me that this is one of the "security" features that MS touted
when they went down this path.

A workaround: a help file (HLP) macro can start an executable. If your CHM
file started the help file, the help file could fire off the executable.
Granted, you will probably still get a silly dialog box about opening the
help file. But once the user says that it is okay to open it (and if your
macro is on the topic that is displayed), you could eventually get the
executable started.

(I don't work with MS HTML help, but...) It seems to me that some of the
HATs implement pop-up menus from CHMs using WinHelp HLP. Hence, you could
use this mechanism to start a HLP file that then starts the executable.

HTH
Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com