RE: sugestions needed for teaching a introductory college course in technical writin

Subject: RE: sugestions needed for teaching a introductory college course in technical writin
From: "Stephanie Barton" <sbarton -at- newtek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 08:51:02 -0500

I took a tech writing program at Univ. of Washington and one of the first
courses that I took was Style in Scientific and Tech Writing, which was
taught by Jan Spyridakis. I learned more from this one course than I had
from high school and college put together. (A member on another list pushed
me to take the tech writing program for no other reason than this course
with this instructor. She said that Jan justified the cost of the entire
program. She was right.)

Jan really hammered in the lessons about structure, grammar, and clarity.
These lessons provided a stronger foundation for my work than any kind of
theoretical stuff that I learned. (Although I agree that the courses on
audience analysis were very useful, too.) The reason I probably focus on
Jan's course as the cornerstone of my tech writing education is that she
instilled us with confidence in our writing. We knew the rules; we knew
which ones we could break.

A brief description of the course is available here:

http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/twe/twe_crs.asp

Also, I want to say that what made Jan's course so successful, at least for
me, was her energy. She really knew her material and she taught with fierce
delight.