RE: suggestions needed for teaching a introductory college course in technical writing

Subject: RE: suggestions needed for teaching a introductory college course in technical writing
From: "MMdeaton" <mmdeaton -at- mmdeaton -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 08:27:17 -0700

What are they supposed to have learned by the time they finish this course?
To write procedures, to know about the field? I would start by figuring out
the objectives for the course and then you will probably discover that you
need a variety of readings, not necessarily one text book.

I agree that "Managing..." is not for beginners. And I am not sure Karen's
book is really an adequate textbook for a writing course. I would like at:

How to Communicate Technical Information : A Handbook of Software and
Hardware Documentation
by Jonathan Price, Henry Korman (Contributor)

Another idea is Writing Software Documentation: A Task-Oriented Approach
(Part of the Allyn & Bacon Series in Technical Communication)

or

The User Manual Manual : How to Research, Write, Test, Edit & Produce a
Software
by Michael Bremer (Paperback)

or
Technical Communication