Re: Is a bad index better than no index?

Subject: Re: Is a bad index better than no index?
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:13:58 -0500

Lydia Wong wrote:

> <snip>
> My background includes amateur historian and librarian (confessing the latter
> sends those who know me into gales of hysterical laughter: YOU? a
> liBRARian???!!!).
> </snip>
>
> <snip>
> Oh, and I was a liBRARian???!!! too! Unfortunately, people seem to think
> that's quite in keeping with my personality. What can I say?? In any event, it
> was good training for many aspects of being a technical writer.
> </snip>

For me it was a bad career choice, but a great education choice. Librarians have
the reputation of "knowing everything." They don't. What they know is how to
FIND information, what tools to use - what KIND of tools to use - how to collect
the information, process it, then dissimulate it.

Isn't that exactly what we do as tech writers? I wouldn't trade my education
choice for anything! It honed my organizational skills, taught me the methods of
finding and extracting information. AND (to bring it back onto the original
topic), how important indexing is!

Jo Byrd