Question(s) on access to prototypes and/or SMEs (long)

Subject: Question(s) on access to prototypes and/or SMEs (long)
From: "Laura A Mac Lemale" <lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 15:40:10 -0400

Hello,

I read the discussion generated by the latest Techwr-L poll in
yesterday's digest. The original inquiry, "Do other TWs have access to
prototypes or early versions of the items they document?," was inspired
by a recent list discussion of some poor examples of documentation. It
was then speculated that maybe some TWs do not have access to a beta (or
even a SME?), resulting in less than optimal documentation.

Yesterday's digest revealed an interpretation of this problem as
specific to the software industry. When I worked in the software
industry, access to an early version of the product was a requirement.
But what about those TWs among us working in other industries, or other
organizations in which they document internal systems and processes?

Do you have direct access to whatever item you are documenting? Do you
have to rely more or less heavily on SMEs? Do you have access to the
requirements, specs, and marketing information?

For some existing systems, I have direct access on my PC. However, for
some systems in development, that is not always the case. Sometimes it
requires some in-depth "homework" and research (to relate this to
earlier posts on introductory TW course material) to obtain the
necessary information for documentation purposes. SMEs are helpful--and
necessary--but not always readily available. (Another recent topic.)

To summarize, I'm curious about the number of TWs who do not have direct
access to a prototype and about how you go about doing your "homework"
for documentation purposes. Thanks for any insight!

(Whew--two posts in one day--I must be at my limit!) <g>

Regards,
Laura

Laura MacLemale
Technical Writer, EDV
Paychex HRS Operations
(716) 336-6515
lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this message represent those of the
sender and not of Paychex, Inc.