Re: XML & XHTML

Subject: Re: XML & XHTML
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 15:26:28 -0700

Tom Murrell wrote:

> Bruce, I don't think you're lazy, so I won't call you that, but since XML is
> structured in such a way that you might find yourself learning several
> different tags sets, especially if you're chaning jobs as many of us seem to
> do, I certainly don't see learning XHTML as an interim solution. My experience
> with XHTML has made me MUCH more comfortable with the concepts of XML. I feel
> I'm about ready to try my hand at DTDs, which is were the documentation
> architecture of XML, that everyone talks about as so wonderful, will really be
> done.

Learning different tag sets shouldn't be a great problem. I make an
analogy with different paragraph tags in different documents, and I'm
not bothered by the change.

Perhaps I should explain that, when I called XHTML an interim solution,
I meant that, because it's designed as a transition between HTML and
XML, it's not likely to be around for very long. For this reason, I've
plunged directly into XML. Much of the documentation stinks on ice, but
the basic concepts, to say nothing of DTDs and various style sheet
options, aren't nearly as difficult as reputation makes them, so I don't
really see the need for a transition form. Or am I missing something?

"You can bring your JCBs,
You can bring your drills and your drivers,
Your pocket piece and your private police,
We'll be there, we'll be there, we'll be there."
-OysterBand