Re:(NOT) HUMOR: I Need Help

Subject: Re:(NOT) HUMOR: I Need Help
From: Thom Randolph <thomrandolph -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 20:18:04 -0700

Andrew:

Seems like the group should hear the opposite side of your "issue":

Yes, we've heard before how you wish people would stop asking for things
they don't have and can't find for themselves. What I'd like to know is why
you have what seems to be an inherent disdain for not only the questioners,
but also for those of us who ARE willing to lend a hand, or word, or 50, or
even 5000.

While you are certainly free to ignore requests at your own discretion, what
makes you think anyone cares that you make that choice? This is the first
time I've addressed your pedantry, yet there have been many times I made the
choice not to. Did I bother the list each time with a notice that I was not going
to answer your incitement? No. I made no bold pronouncement that it was in
the best interest of the group that I not respond. I have all too often read
vehement exclamations proclaiming your sink-or-swim problem solving philosophy.

If you're so incredibly adept at problem solving, why does this one idea occupy
your thoughts so frequently? One important aspect of problem-solving ability is
to know when to stop arguing and simply move on. You've expressed this opinion
before. Given that both the questioners and the responders seem to be ignoring
your opinion, why do you feel the need to repetitively instruct us? Do you imagine
that one day we'll wake up and forsake our helpfulness? Might you, instead, one
day realize that there are some of us who are perfectly happy helping others?

For the slim chance of a possible reduction in our collective distaste for you,
and to save your clearly valuable time, the next time you deign to send your
"how dare you ask questions that require long and helpful answers" reply, may
I suggest you simply reference your numerous previously archived comments?

It would at least save us the trouble of reading your repetitive diatribes, and
of your having to type them...again.

Thom Randolph

At 11:20 AM 2/18/01 -0800, Andrew Plato wrote:

I am going to post a public response to this but leave off the name of the
person who wrote it. I think there is a real issue in this:

[remainder snipped due to banal repitition]