RE: NORMAL vs BODY styles

Subject: RE: NORMAL vs BODY styles
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:41:55 -0400

Bill, what you say is true, but there is another consideration. The general scheme in many publishing programs is that you can base one style on another. In theory (and I know Word doesn't behave very consistently in this regard), you can pick a new face or size in your base style (e.g., "Normal"), and the change will propagate to other styles based on it.

Therefore, one might logically want to define face, size, character spacing, hyphenation choices, and justification in "Normal," then define paragraph indents and spacing in "Body," then define bulleted styles based on "Body," etc.

As I said, Word is a bad actor; but I think that's the rationale behind the convention of having both a Normal and a Body style.

Dick