Re: Printing manuals

Subject: Re: Printing manuals
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 07:30:46 -0500

Chris,

Sorry about the delay in this response, but I only sporadically read the TECHWR-L these days, spending most of my time with the Framers list.

A Risograph is essentially an upgraded form of the old "spirit master" type machine--what is often referred to as a "duplicator." It is capable of multiple colors, but only as spot colors. Full-color illustrations are quite beyond its registration capabilities. Recent examples are able to image their masters on the machine. Run lengths are relatively short before the image degrades and text becomes somewhat fuzzy and indistinct. You'd have to see what present machines are capable of, since it's been about five years since I examined these.

As for having suppliers who do everything in-house, in printing this can often lead to higher costs. Printing must be thought of as a manufacturing process. Most plants are set up to do some things very well, and others only by work-arounds. Likewise, some of the best pre-press operators have separate shops, as do binders.

It is standard practice for print shops of all sizes to send part of some jobs to outside firms that can do these portions of work more efficiently. This is often done for binding of book-length pieces, for instance.

With the same percentage markup, two different printers can have wildly varying costs depending upon what they are set up to do most efficiently. Often, you can find print brokers whose business it is to contract printing to one or more printers. If you deal with one of these firms, you can often save a great deal of time and money. The problem with shopping around yourself is that you are not experienced in determining who gives low bids because of poor quality or indifferent service, and who gives low bids because they are particularly suited for a given job.

By the way, a Docutech is not "similar to an industrial-sized laser"--that is precisely what it is. (I was consulting with the Xerox campus in El Segundo, California, where the machine was designed and built when it was first launched). It is an excellent solution for short-run, black and white materials--just as you suggested.

The beauty of having good relations with one supplier versus shopping jobs around is that you become a more important customer, so your jobs receive a certain amount of priority in scheduling. Likewise, the printer becomes accustomed to your work and any quirks it may have that preclude it being run cleanly--special fonts, perhaps.

Otherwise, I'd think seriously of finding either a good print broker (especially if you have many jobs that vary widely in format, quantity, etc.) or at least a good pre-press house if you do much offset lithography. The single most difficult part of the job is handled at the pre-press level, where printing plates are produced including all the specialized adjustments required for your job.

I hope these observations have been helpful.

David Neeley