RE: What is This Functionality Called?

Subject: RE: What is This Functionality Called?
From: Joy Brady-Beer <joy_m_brady -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 08:35:58 -0700 (PDT)

Carol,

I don't know a formal name, but I know exactly what
you're referring to. The list is not
"auto-populating." It's ALREADY populated, but has
the convenience of allowing you to pop right to the
right part of the list that starts with the chosen
letter. You can then repeatedly strike that key to
scroll through - in your example - the "M" part of the
list. Not only that, once you get to the bottom of
the M items, if you press "M" once again, you return
to the top of the M items.

If I had to make up a name, maybe alphabetic tabbing
or alphabetic scrolling? Automatic Selection by
character. These are made up, of course. I'm going
to check the MS Knowledge Base to see if they have a
formal name. I love that function, and now you've
made me curious...

> Carol Anne T. Wall wrote:
>
> <<What do you call the function where you type a
> letter and the
> first item in your combo box that corresponds to
> that letter displays.
> If
> you select that letter again, the next item with
> that same letter
> displays,
> if there is a second item in your list.

=====