Re: Word: how to create comprehensive TOC for multiple *.docs

Subject: Re: Word: how to create comprehensive TOC for multiple *.docs
From: "Maggie Secara" <maggiros -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 14:15:06 -0700

DO NOT BOTHER WITH THE MASTER DOCUMENT. While it's true that one (count'em) one person of our acquaintance uses it with ease, it is a very fussy, very brittle feature that must must must be planned out in advance and for most of us, it's not worth the pain and lost files. It's definitly not meant for handling pre-existing documents.

RD (referenced document) fields are your answer. And yes, you can use RD fields wherever you want, even in a separate document.

This has been discussed in some detail on this and especially the Word-PC list. Look for "RD fields" in the archives and in the Word help files themselves. If you have trouble figuring it out, feel free to ask me directly. The help topic is not beautifully written :)

Maggie Secara

From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>

Hallo:

Sorry for a tool-related question. I posted to a Microsoft list and have
reviewed both the online help and third-party documentation that I have
available, including Web Searches.

I have several Word documents (97, but the version matters not), each with
its own TOC, each its own document.

1) Is there a way to create a master TOC and master index that covers all of
these docs *without* copying all the docs into one big file?

2) It seems one way to do this is *master docs*.

3) Other than master docs, using reference fields, or some such thing, is
there a way to create a master doc and master index, each possibly as a
separate document in and of itself? Thoughts?