Re: interleaf Qs

Subject: Re: interleaf Qs
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 17:20:16 -0400

"Brierley, Sean" wrote:

> Hallo:
>
> I'm all over the tools map this week. First Word, now Interleaf <vbg>.
>
> 1) General question: Is Interleaf a player in the DTP market any more?

Not really. The new owners have pretty much beaten it into the ground.
They won't sell it to you. They won't support it.

> 2) Are there any peer-peer support groups, and where?

Yes. The Usenet news group, comp.text.interleaf

> 3) I've checked out www.interleaf.com but that seems only to be support,
> linking to "Broadvision" for more info. What's going on with this, I can
> find no clear statement about Interleaf.

And you won't. When did you ever find a clear statement about Interleaf
from the people who sold it (which, as I noted above, they don't do
anymore)? Just because it is the best publishing program ever produced
for the desktop doesn't mean anyone ever understood how to market it.

> 4) For Windows, what is the latest version of Interleaf? What is the latest
> version of IAF?

There is an Interleaf 7 for Windows and something called QuickSilver, I
think (although they might be the same thing). The versions after 5.4.1
for DOS, however, traded off reduced functionality for a more
Windows-compliant interface. 5.4.1 is still the gold standard for
complex documents. The later versions have some features that make them
better in some circumstances, though. Depends what you're trying to do.

HTH,

Dick