RE: What are "advanced" API topics?

Subject: RE: What are "advanced" API topics?
From: Kathleen Melly <kmelly -at- gensym -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:07:38 -0400

Susan;

I've documented a few APIs, starting from just the facts (signature
description) to concepts and how to information.

The tools to automate the process are complex. I worked with a programmer
turned writer who developed a system using JavaDoc that will probably die
with him. I also developed a system using SoDA that could easily be carried
on without me, but was very labor intensive (just what you don't want). So
tools, tools, tools.

Adding to the tools dilemma is documenting more than one language. I found
it hard maintaining an API in two languages, I couldn't imagine trying to do
so in four.

The other thing I would say is example code, including everything pointed
out by people in previous responses. Who does it, engineering or
documentation? How do you maintain them? How many? I found that providing
step by step instructions without sample code was pretty much useless.

Hope this helped.

Kathleen