Re: Running executables and HTML

Subject: Re: Running executables and HTML
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:37:49 -0500

Folks, lay off poor Irene on the security/platform issues. She clearly said
this was for an inTRAnet site, not an inTERnet site, which means she can
allow herself the presumption of security and can know with reasonable
certainty what the viewer's platform is.

You might need some technical help with this one, Irene. The best way to
manage this might be through some form of homebrew ActiveX tool. I'll have
to admit I've never tried this (kudos, BTW, for coming up with something I
haven't even considered trying to do, seeing as how I'll try almost
anything) but it's an interesting thought. Can I ask just what you're
trying to accomplish in the long run with this? It sounds like you're
trying to set up something similar to a web-based application server. Does
your influence in this project extend to the point where you can have a
known network drive containing the applications, rather than parking them
on the web server? What's the browser in use?

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224