Toolbar usability?

Subject: Toolbar usability?
From: Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:53:06 -0500

Hi all... I recall seeing a study about the usability of toolbar buttons a
few years ago. They put pictures of various toolbar buttons in front of
users and found that the only ones users could consistently identify were
the basic ones like "Save" and "Print." Custom toolbar buttons that
conveyed more abstract concepts were less successful.

Does anyone know where I can find that study, or similar information,
online? I've been searching Google on "toolbar usability" and other search
strings without success. (There's a little user interface crusade lurking
behind my question. I've commented on some custom toolbar buttons in
applications I've documented, and I'd like to be able to back up my points
with evidence.)

thanks,
Christine