Re: Length of service--how often to change jobs?

Subject: Re: Length of service--how often to change jobs?
From: "Scott Holstad" <SHolstad -at- ci -dot- knoxville -dot- tn -dot- us>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:47:57 -0400

Hi Geoff and All,

>>> "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA> 05/31 10:02 AM >>>

Nope, but I have seen people cite estimates of 2-5 years often enough to
consider this to be a typical ballpark estimate. Of course, these people
could all be simply repeating one unscientific estimate by someone vocal but
ill-informed, but I haven't seen anyone leap up to challenge these numbers,
and that lends them some credibility.

I read in a magazine a couple of years ago (sorry, I don't remember which one, so I can't cite it), that the average length of stay in the technical field was 18 months.

My opinion is that if you want to change jobs every couple years, you should
probably considering going freelance and working as a contractor. Then, if
someone complains that "you don't seem very stable, do you?", you can reply
with perfect confidence that you chose the contract life because you like
being your own boss and picking your own assignments. However, were I an
employer looking for full-time staff rather than contractors (and I'm not),
I'd have to ask myself whether I would really want to go through the hassle
of hiring someone again every 2.5 years. I wouldn't. That being the case,
I'd probably eliminate a candidate with a track record of frequent job
changes if I had several equally skilled candidates with longer tenures on
their resume. That's not necessarily a good criterion, because someone with
a broad range of experience might make an excellent choice, and might be a
particularly good choice if I'm expecting cyclical downsizing (heck, the
person will want to leave anyway, right?), but there's no guarantee I'd
follow that chain of logic were I submerged in resumes and trying to cut
down the number I had to review.

Sorry, Geoff. Gotta disagree with you here, especially in the case of California. While I now reside in Tennessee (God help me), I lived and worked in California for a number of years. It was and I believe still is quite common for people in the industry to make frequent moves; in fact, you might even say it's expected. All but one of my friends and colleagues in N. and S. California have made frequent moves. The longest I stayed anywhere personally was 37 months. Maybe it's different in Canada and the rest of the US (I think it is here in Tennessee), but California's a different beast and as a large technology employer, should be judged differently IMHO.

Best,

Scott

--Geoff Hart, FERIC
580 boul. St-Jean, Pointe-Claire, Quebec H9R 3J9
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca