[Fwd: Re: Debugging PowerPoint Save as HTML]

Subject: [Fwd: Re: Debugging PowerPoint Save as HTML]
From: Kathy Jacobs <jacobskl -at- jacobs -dot- coxatwork -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 21:45:28 -0700

Jim,

Noticed that no one answered yet, so I will. This problem generally comes when there is a problem graphic on the page after the last one generated. Problem graphics can be things off the slide that PPT doesn't know what to do with or just things that didn't get inserted or copied correctly.

The first thing to do is to look at your HTML files and find the last slide generated. Check to see if it generated completely or as a blank slide. If the last slide generated completely, the next slide is the problem. If the last slide generated as a blank slide, it is the problem.

Now that you know where the problem is, look at that slide. If you see something obvious, fix it and re-run the HTML generator. If you don't see anything, make a duplicate of the slide and delete the original. Now re-generate the HTML and it should work. If it still doesn't work, you may need to recreate that slide from scratch by re-importing the graphics and slides and re-entering the text.

Post back if none of these work.

--
Kathryn Jacobs, BrainBench MVP MS PowerPoint (Get Certified at http://www.brainbench.com)
Get PowerPoint answers at www.powerpointanswers.com
Personal Home Page: http://home.talkcity.com/ScholarSt/rainbow62/index.html
Trainer, writer, Girl Scout, parent, and whatever else there is time for
Life is meant to be lived. But:
if we live without making a difference, it makes no difference that we lived

Jim Shaeffer wrote:

I am using PowerPoint's Save as HTML to repurpose some slide shows for our
Web site. Usually, it goes swimmingly, but this message pops while trying to save some
of the shows:
Microsoft PowerPoint PowerPoint couldn't save some of the HTML files. Do you wish to delete the files that were generated by Save As HTML? Yes No
If I do not delete, I get an incomplete slide show.
Can anyone point to any pointers or resources I can use in debugging this
situation?
Resources tried: The PowerPoint Help file has not helped me. Microsoft's
Knowledgebase has not yielded any relevant knowledge to me. Google searches
have not availed. One hint indicated I need a lot of RAM for this operation, but that doesn't
seem to be the problem. Techie details: PowerPoint 97 on Windows 98, running on a 400 MHz Pentium II
with 128 MB RAM and at least 3 GB of free hard disk space.
Thanks, Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)