Re: Shareware

Subject: Re: Shareware
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 13:01:14 -0700

Jane Carnall wrote:

> Naturally, I'm going to run this past TPTB at my company before this goes
> out, but I'd also appreciate input from the list. Mostly, the shareware I've
> used has been as reliable (if not more so) than commercial software. Are
> there any other issues that I should be aware of before suggesting that our
> customers use shareware? Should I e-mail HSS and ask them for
> trademark/copyright information?

The most important issue: look at the licence. You need to know what
obligations you are suggesting that your customers incur. With some
shareware, you are granted license only to use it for 30 days without
paying. With others, you are asked to make a charitable donation if you
continue to use the program.

Another reason for checking is that the easiest thing for you to do is
to bundle the software with your company's. Naturally, you need to check
that the license permits that.

Whatever the case, always contact the makers of the software if you
mention it or are considering bundling it. Even if the license doesn't
oblige you to do so, it's a courtesy.

"Down at the river one day waits the ghost
Turning into the people that we hide from the most."
-Rev Hammer, "Drunkard's Waltz"